From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
An island off the coast of Maryland.
(AG - 131: dp. 520; l. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 26; cl. Camano)
Deal (AG-131) was built in 1944 for the Army as FS-263 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, N.Y.; acquired by the Navy 2 March 1947; and commissioned at Guam 3 August 1947, Lieutenant (junior grade) P. G. Patton in command. She was reclassified AKL-2, 31 March 1949.
Based at Guam Deal carried cargo to the small islands in the Marianas, Marshalls, and Carolines until arriving at Pearl Harbor 11 August 1949. She conducted cargo operations from this base to the outlying islands of the Hawaiian chain, Palmyra, and Canton until 16 May 1950. She sailed to Kwajalein for a brief period, returning to Pearl Harbor 3 July.
With the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, Deal got underway from Pearl Harbor 14 September 1950 for Sasebo, arriving 8 November. She operated as a part of the 7th Fleet under the control of Commander, Service Squadron 3, in logistics support of the United Nations forces in Korea, and visited other ports in Japan, Formosa, the Pescadores, Okinawa, and the Philippines until 28 February 1955 when she departed Yokosuka for the United States. After a short visit to Long Beach, Calif., she arrived at Astoria Bay 13 April to start inactivation. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Portland, Oreg., 8 September 1955 and sold 18 December 1961.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT