From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
An island off the State of Washington.
AG - 130: dp. 520 l. 177' b. 33'
dr. 10' s. 13 k. cpl. 26
Camano (AG-130) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Long Island, N.Y.; acquired as the Army FS-256 at Apra, Guam, 16 July 1947; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant (junior grade) J. J. Daly in command.
Following the completion of her conversion 8 October 1947, Camano began cargo and passenger duty out of Guam to the Caroline Islands. She was reclassified AKL-1, 31 March 1949. On 2 June 1949 she sailed to Pearl Harbor for overhaul, then resumed duty at Guam 24 September and remained there, except for another overhaul at Pearl Harbor, until 26 July 1951 when she was decommissioned and transferred to the Department of the Interior. Camano was returned to the Navy 22 December 1952.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: epm
Date: 26 Mar 1999