From Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,
Vol. VI (1976), pp. 12
A city in Wisconsin.
(LST-1191: dp. 8,342 (f.); l. 518'; b. 68'; s. 20 k.; cpl. 231; trp. 430; a. 4 3"; cl. Newport)
The second Racine (LST-1191) was laid down by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Co., San Diego, Calif., 13 December 1969; and launched 15 August 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Edwin B. Hooper, wife of Vice Adm. Edwin B. Hooper USN (Ret.), Director of Naval History; Racine was placed in commission 9 July 1971, Comdr. Daniel W. Anderson in command.
She remained at Long Beach, completing her fitting-out until 9 August, when she departed for San Diego. Racine underwent tests and participated in exercises off the west coast until 8 June 1972. At that time, she steamed out of San Diego for a South American cruise with a group of NROTC Midshipmen. She visited Valparaiso, Chile; Callao, Peru, and the Canal Zone, returning to San Diego 17 July. On 13 September, she embarked on a tour of duty with WestPac. She remained in the Far East, shuttling men and material between Vietnam and various American bases in the area, until 26 April 1973, when she weighed anchor for San Diego. Racine arrived at San Diego 17 May 1973 and, as of January 1974, continues operating in that area.
[NOTE: Racine was decommissioned 02 Oct. 1993. As of 1997, the vessel was in 180-day reserve at Pearl Harbor.]