From Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,
Vol. V (1979), pp. 78
A city and county in Rhode Island, important as a naval base since the American Revolution.
(LST-1179: dp. 8,342; l. 522'3"; b. 69'5"; dr. 15'; s. 20 k.; cpl. 231; a. 4 3"; cl. Newport)
The third Newport was laid down 1 November 1966 by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Philadelaphia, Pa.; launched 3 February 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Claiborne Pell; and commissioned 7 June 1969.
As the first of a new class of LST, she is unlike any other LST previously built. She can steam twice as fast as her World War II predecessors and carry over twice as many troops. She has an over the bow ramp instead of the usual bow doors and a stern gate to enable her to off load from both ends simultaneously.
Assigned to Amphibious Squadron 8 and home ported at Little Creek, Va., Newport carried out a vigorous training program to prepare for active service in the Fleet.