From Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,
Vol. V (1979), pp. 244
A river in the Carolinas.
(LSMR-517: dp. 790; 1. 206'3", b. 34'6", dr. 7'3", s. 13 k.; cpl. 75; a. 1 5", 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 10 rkt.; cl. LSMR-501)
Pee Dee River (LSMR-517), a medium landing ship (rocket), originally designed as a LSM but redesignated 9 February 1945 as LSMR-517, was laid down by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex. 28 April 1945, launched 2 June 1945; and accepted and commissioned 21 July 1945, Lt. Leo H. Bishkin in command.
LSMR-517 underwent final fitting out at the Charleston Navy Yard and then reported for shakedown 25 August 1945 at Little Creek, Va. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, she conducted training operations out of Little Creek. She was utilized chiefly to assist in fulfilling amphibious and midshipman training commitments until her deactivation in October 1947.
Reactivated in September 1951, she called at Fall River Mass. for repairs and then operated briefly out of Little Creek in the Virginia Capes and Chesapeake Bay Operating Areas. After taking part in Lantflex 1-55, she departed Little Creek 1 February 1955 and arrived Orange, Tex. 8 February. She decommissioned there 13 April and was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Texas Group.
Named Pee Dee River 1 October 1955 while still in a reserve status, she remained berthed at Orange, Tex. until struck from the Navy List 1 February 1960. She was sold 22 June 1960 to Petrommer Corp.