From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Burleigh is a county in North Dakota.
(APA-95: dp. 8392; l. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 18.4 k.; cpl. 384; a. 2 5"; cl. Bayfield)
Burleigh (APA-95) was launched 3 December 1943 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co., Pascagoula, Miss., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Dallas H. Smith; and placed in reduced commission 1 April 1944. She was taken to New York and placed out of commission 13 April 1944 for conversion by Bethlehem Steel Co., 56th St. Yard, Brooklyn, N. Y. The ship was placed in full commission 30 October 1944, Commander D. G. Greenlee in command.
On 3 December 1944 Burleigh departed Hampton Roads Va., and proceeded to the Pacific arriving at Pearl Harbor 23 December. She became flagship of Transport Squadron 18 at San Francisco 3 January 1945. During January and February 1945 Burleigh transported passengers and supplies to Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, and the Russell Islands. March 1945 was spent at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, in preparation for the assault on Okinawa. Burleigh departed Ulithi, in company with Transport Squadron 18, 27 March 1945 and arrived off Okinawa 1 April. She remained in the area disembarking Marines and supplies until 10 April when she got underway for Pearl Harbor. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 27 April, after stopping at Guam to embark casualties.
Returning to San Francisco 4 June 1945, Burleigh embarked troops and supplies and steamed to Guam via Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Saipan. She returned to San Francisco 2 August. With the cessation of hostilities Burleigh was assigned to the "Magic Carpet" fleet returning veterans from the Pacific until March 1946. On 15 March 1946 she departed the west coast for Norfolk, where she arrived 3 April. She was decommissioned 11 June 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission the following day.
Burleigh received one battle star for her World War II service.