From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Counties in Minnesota and Nebraska.
(APA - 83: dp. 4,247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
Fillmore (APA-83) was launched 4 January 1945 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, Calif.; sponsored by Miss Mary L. Rutte; and commissioned 25 February 1945 Commander L. E. Divoll in command.
Loaded to capacity with cargo and passengers, Fillmore sailed from San Francisco 25 April 1945, bound for Espiritu Santo. Here she landed men and cargo, and loaded aircraft engines, spare parts, and a few passengers for Samar. She departed the Philippines 31 May to embark men and material bound for Pearl Harbor at Biak, Humboldt Bay, and Ulithi, and after exchanging passengers at Pearl Harbor, sailed 29 June for San Francisco.
Outward bound with troops 12 July 1945 Fillmore landed them at Leyte 2 August, and served there as receiving ship until the surrender of Japan. At once she began embarking troops and equipment from various points on Samar for the occupation of northern Honshu, landing them at Aomori 25 September. She returned to San Francisco from Japan, Saipan, and Guam 21 October, loaded with veterans eligible for discharge. In November and December, she sailed with occupation troops for Korea, and through almost all of 1946 was engaged in preparations for, and actual tests in, Operation "Crossroads", atomic weapons experiments in the Marshalls. Back in San Francisco 5 November 1946, Fillmore sailed for Norfolk, Va., a month later. She was decommissioned 24 January 1947 at Norfolk, and transferred to the Maritime Commission 1 April 1948.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)