From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A county in Montana.
(APA - 82: dp. 4,247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
Fergus (APA-82) was launched 24 December 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. F. W. Mihld; acquired by the Navy 19 February 1945; and commissioned 20 February 1945, Commander J. C. Snyder, USNR, in command.
Fergus sailed from San Diego 19 April 1945 for Saipan, where she transferred Marines to another transport bound for Okinawa. At Guam she unloaded cargo and embarked hospital patients for San Francisco, returning 24 June. Her next voyage, between 1 July and 20 October, was devoted to redeployment of troops among Pacific bases and to occupation duty in Japan. Fergus made two cruises, one to Guam, Leyte, and Pearl Harbor, and the other to Pearl Harbor alone, to return servicemen eligible for discharge. She was decommissioned 25 June 1946 at Pearl Harbor, and towed to San Francisco Bay, where she was transferred to the Maritime Commission 4 September 1947.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)