- From The Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A county in California.
APA - 74: dp.
426' b. 58' dr.
a. 1 x 5' cl. Gilliam
Colusa (APA-74) was launched 7 October 1944 by
Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp.,
San Pedro, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored
by Mrs. J. F.
Chandler; acquired by the Navy 18 December 1944; commissioned 20
Lieutenant Commander H. W. Neill, USNR, in command; and reported
to the Pacific
Fleet. Colusa stood out from San Francisco 15 February
1945 for Pearl Harbor,
arriving 21 February. She departed Pearl Harbor 27 February,
discharged cargo at
Eniwetok, Tinian, and Guam and returned to Pearl Harbor 26 March
for training and
interisland transport duties until 24 June. After a
cargo-passenger voyage to
Midway, she sailed 4 July from Pearl Harbor for San Francisco,
disembarked passengers and loaded cargo for Pearl Harbor,
returning 30 July.
After another voyage to carry men to Midway, Colusa
departed Pearl Harbor 1
September and called at Saipan, Sasebo, Okinawa, and Wakayama on
occupation personnel. Between 7 October, when she cleared
Wakayama, and 5 January
1946, when she arrived at San Francisco, she crossed the Pacific
on two 'Magic
Carpet" voyages, calling at Guam, Seattle, Pearl Harbor, Noumea,
Hollandia, and Manus to load homeward-bound servicemen. She sailed
Francisco 16 January to transport Canadian naval officers to
Sydney, called at
Brisbane and New Caledonia, and returned to San Francisco 1 March.
to Pearl Harbor 6 April, and there was decommissioned 16 May 1946,
transferred to the Maritime Commission 14 August 1947 for
Transcribed by: email@example.com
HTML by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: 6 Dec 1998