From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Bottineau is a county in North Dakota.
(APA-235: dp. 6720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 636; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Bottineau (APA-235) was launched 22 November 1944 by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Durand; transferred to the Navy 30 December 1944; and commissioned the same day, Captain H. B. Edgar in command.
Reporting to the Pacific Fleet, Bottineau carried a cargo of ammunition to Pearl Harbor during March 1945. Departing Pearl Harbor 9 April she carried replacement troops to Saipan, Marianas Islands, and evacuated casualties from Okinawa before returning to the United States 10 June 1945. She then carried replacement troops to the Philippines and returned to Pearl Harbor to prepare for the invasion of Japan. Following the Japanese surrender she landed elements of the 98th Division at Wakayama, Honshu, Japan, 1 October 1945. Bottineau departed 6 October 1945 for Guam and returned to the United States with Pacific veterans, arriving at Seattle, Wash., 26 January 1946.
Between February and May 1946 Bottineau operated between San Francisco and San Diego. Departing San Pedro, Calif., 25 May 1946, she arrived at Bikini Atoll 6 June 1946 where she acted as a transport for the target vessel boarding teams during Operation Crossroads. Following the atomic bomb tests she returned to San Francisco, arriving 21 August. She was placed out of commission in reserve there 8 March 1947.
Recommissioned 24 March 1951, Bottineau served with Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet, until August when she steamed to Norfolk, Va., arriving 4 September. Bottineau served with the Atlantic Fleet, taking part in amphibious training exercises and other routine peacetime duties, until going out of commission at Philadelphia 31 August 1955.
For her World War II service Bottineau received one battle star.