From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A county in Texas.
(APA - 167: dp. 6,720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell) Freestone (APA-167) was launched 9 October 1944 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur R. Ponto; and commissioned 9 November 1944, Captain C. L. Carpenter in command.
Freestone arrived at Pearl Harbor 14 January 1945 with passengers and cargo from the west coast, and 6 days later sailed to land troops from Pearl Harbor on Saipan. Moving on to Ulithi, Freestone loaded Marines and their equipment and sailed to Leyte for intensive training in preparation for the Okinawa landings. She sortied from Leyte Gulf 27 March, remained in the outer transport area during the assault on 1 April, then moved close inshore to land her men in one of the later waves of landing craft. Next day she splashed a lone enemy aircraft, and on 7 April she was underway with casualties for Guam.
Continuing to San Francisco, Freestone arrived 11 May 1945 to embark soldiers and sailors for transportation to Manila, arriving 12 June. She voyaged to New Guinea to bring more soldiers to Manila, then sailed for the west coast with homeward bound servicemen. On two cruises to the western Pacific between 4 August and 23 December, she redeployed men and equipment in the Philippines and to Japan from various bases returning from both cruises with servicemen eligible for discharge. On 14 February 1946, she sailed from San Francisco for Norfolk, where she was decommissioned 17 April 1946, and transferred to the War Shipping Administration 2 days later.
Freestone received one battle star for World War II service.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)