From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Bandera is a county in Texas.
(APA-131: dp. 6,873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Bandera (APA-131) was launched 6 October 1944 for the Maritime Commission by California Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Elmer P. Abernethy, wife of Captain Abernethy; acquired 5 December 1944, and commissioned 6 December 1944, Captain G. C. Miller in command.
Between 1 February and 27 August 1945 Bandera shuttled troops and cargo between Pearl Harbor; Ulithi, Caroline Islands, Guam and Saipan, Marianas Islands and Eniwetok, Marshall Islands. With the cessation of hostilities she made several runs between the Philippine Islands and Inchon, Korea, and arrived at San Francisco 9 December 1945. Between 28 December 1945 and 15 February 1946 she carried passengers between San Francisco and Shanghai, China. On 27 February she departed San Francisco for Norfolk, where she arrived 11 March. She was decommissioned 7 May 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission on the 14th.