From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A county in Virginia.
(APA - 116: dp. 8,100 (lt.); l. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 16 k.; cpl. 479; a. 2 5", 8 40 mm.; cl. Bayfield; T. C3-S-A2)
Hanover (APA-116) was launched under Maritime Commission contract by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pascagoula, Miss., 18 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Stanley M. Bebler; loaned to the Navy and simultaneously commissioned 31 March 1945, Comdr. J. H. Henderson in command.
After conducting a brief shakedown cruise off Galveston, Tex., Hanover arrived Gulfport, Miss., 3 May 1945 and began loading Marines and SeaBees for transportation to the Pacific. She got underway 6 May and sailed to Pearl Harbor, carrying out training operations en route. After her arrival 24 May, the ship unloaded her troops for further transfer and until 6 June took part in underway training operations in Hawaiian waters. She then sailed for San Francisco in company with other transports, and just before reaching California was diverted to Portland, Oreg., where she arrived 19 June.
Hanover got underway 1 July for Eniwetok Atoll, an important Pacific staging area, expecting to take part in the final assault on Japan. Arriving 14 July, she sailed in convoy 3 days later, bound for Ulithi. The ship remained at this base briefly, for she was soon bound for Okinawa, where she arrived 12 August 1945. Hanover unloaded replacement troops on this battle-scarred island, and after the close of the war prepared to take part in the occupation.
After embarking Army units Hanover sailed 5 September for Jinsen, Korea, to aid in the occupation, and unloaded her troops 3 days later. The transport returned to Okinawa 14 September but was soon forced to stand out to sea to ride out the great hurricane of September 1945. After the severe weather subsided, Hanover returned to Okinawa and loaded troops for the occupation of China. She arrived Taku 30 September to help stabilize the troubled situation there and aid in the consolidation of the area by Nationalist forces.
Hanover's next assignment was with the "Magic-Carpet" fleet, bringing home American troops from the Pacific. She arrived San Francisco on her last voyage 6 February 1946, and was ordered to steam via the Panama Canal to Norfolk, Va., where she arrived 9 March. The ship decommissioned 11 May 1946 and was returned to the Maritime Commission the next day. Sold to the Matson Navigation Co. in 1947, she sailed as Hawaiian Wholesaler until 1961, when she became Ventura for Matson's Oceanic Steamship Co.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)