From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A county in North Carolina.
(AKA - 87: dp. 6,350; l. 459'2"; b. 63'; dr. 26'4"; s. 16 k.; cpl. 429; a. 1 5"; cl. Achernar)
Duplin (AKA-87) was launched 17 October 1944 by North Carolina Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, N.C., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss M. Jennette; acquired by the Navy 30 October 1944; converted by Bethlehem Steel Co., Key Highway Plant, Baltimore, Md.; and commissioned 15 May 1945, Commander H. B. Fluck, USNR, in command.
Duplin arrived at Marseilles, France, from Norfolk 24 June 1945 to embark Army troops and cargo for the Pacific. She sailed from Marseilles 9 July for the Panama Canal and Manila, arriving 23 August. With occupation troops embarked, Duplin sailed 20 September to land her passengers at Wakayama, 5 days later. She made a similar voyage to land troops at Matsuyama 22 October, then was assigned to "Magic Carpet" duty returning servicemen to the United States.
Duplin sailed from Nagoya 9 November 1945 and landed the veterans at Seattle, Wash., on the 20th. Between 28 December 1945 and 20 February 1946 she voyaged to carry cargo to Japan for the occupation forces, returning with troops. She departed Oakland, Calif., 6 March for the east coast, arriving at Norfolk 20 days later. Duplin was decommissioned 21 May 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 23 May 1946 for disposal.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)