From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.VI - p 330
A sixth-century B.C. Greek lyric poetess.
The second Sappho (AKA-38) was laid down on 12 December 1944 under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1899) by the Walsh Kaiser Co., Inc., Providence, RJ. ; launched on 3 March 1945 ; sponsored by Mrs. J. G. Stone ; and commissioned on 24 April 1945, Lt. Comdr. M. A. Beach in command.
After shakedown, Sappho sailed on 28 May 1945 from Norfolk, with cargo and personnel for Honolulu, where she arrived on 18 June. On 29 June, she got underway for Palmyra and Fanning islands, returning to Honolulu on 11 July. The ship began amphibious training off Maui Island on 4 August but terminated the exercises shortly after the Japanese capitulation in mid-August. On 1 September, she departed Pearl Harbor with occupation troops for Japan, arriving at Sasebo on 22 September. She then made a trip to Manila, returning to Sasebo on 20 October where she reported for "Magic Carpet" duty. Sappho made two voyages carrying troops home; one from Sasebo, Japan, and one from Shanghai, China, before she was released from "Magic Carpet" duty at Seattle on 10 January 1946.
Sappho was decommissioned on 23 May 1946 at Seattle, struck from the Navy list on 15 October 1946, and delivered to the Maritime Commission's reserve fleet at Olympia, Wash., on 13 January 1947. She was sold by the Maritime Administration on 7 September 1965 to Zidell Explorations, Inc., for scrapping.