From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V - p 187
The first Ottawa was named for the Indian tribe of southern Ontario and Michigan ; the second for counties in the states of Kansas, Michigan, Ohio, and Oklahoma.
The second Ottawa (AKA-101) was laid down 5 October 1944 under a Maritime Commission Contract by Carolina Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, N.C. ; launched 29 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William S. Pritchard; acquired and commissioned 8 February 1945, Lt. Comdr. Jackson Mizell, USNR, in command.
Ottawa was active in the closing phases of the war in the Pacific. After outfitting at Charleston, S.C., and shakedown out of Norfolk, Va., she sailed 11 March 1945, arriving Pearl Harbor with Navy cargo 1 April. She departed on 21 April for West Coast ports to load explosives and construction equipment, returning to Pearl harbor 23 May.
After proceeding alone from Pearl Harbor to Eniwetok, Marshalls, and Ulithi, Carolines, Ottawa departed Ulithi in convoy 27 June bound for Okinawa. Completing discharge of cargo 12 July she sailed via Ulithi and Manus arriving Espiritu Santo, 28 July to load Army and Navy vehicles for Guam and Saipan. She departed Espiritu Santo 5 August and arrived Apra Harbor Guam, Marianas, 15 August. After discharging cargo at Guam, she proceeded to Saipan and completed discharge of cargo 28 August.
Ten days later Ottawa loaded the Second Marines and equipment and departed Saipan 18 September for Nagasaki and the occupation of Japan. After disembarking the Marines and gear at Nagasaki, Japan, she proceeded to the Philippines arriving Lingayen Gulf 12 October. Loading Sixth Army troops and equipment for Nagoya, Japan, she sailed 23 October arriving Nagoya 28 October.
After unloading, Ottawa embarked Army and Navy passengers for transportation to the U.S. departing 11 November via Lingayen Gulf, Subic, and Pearl Harbor for San Francisco.
Ottawa reported to Commander Fifth Naval District, Norfolk, for decommissioning 7 March 1946, was decommissioned 10 January 1947, returned to the Maritime Comnmission, 28 January, and stricken from the Navy List 14 March 1947.