From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
The Blue Ridge is the most south-eastern ridge of the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina.
(AGC-2: dp. 7431; l. 459'3"; b. 63'; dr. 24'; s. 16.4 k.; cpl. 506; a. 2 5"; cl. Appalachian)
The second Blue Ridge (AGC-2) was launched 7 March 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. David Arnott; transferred to the Navy 15 March 1943; and commissioned 27 September 1943, Commander L. R. McDowell in command.
Blue Ridge departed the east coast 1 November 1943 for the South Pacific to become flagship, 7th Amphibious Force. For most of 1944 she cruised in waters around New Caledonia, New Guinea, and eastern Australia. After taking part in the landings at Leyte (20-26 October 1944) and the invasion of Lingayen Gulf, Luzon (9-14 January 1945), she remained in the Philippines until 16 June 1945. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 28 June for overhaul and returned to the Far East 8 September.
Blue Ridge served in the Western Pacific in support of the occupation, returning to San Pedro, Calif., 18 March 1946. She underwent preparations for Operation Crossroads and then departed San Francisco with observers 12 June 1946 and arrived off Bikini on the 29th. She remained in the area for both atomic tests and departed 30 July. She arrived at San Francisco 15 August. Placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego 14 March 1847, she has since remained a part of the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Blue Ridge received two battle stars for her operations in the Philippines.